12 January, 2009

CHOCARRUBICA

The other night I decided to grab a pint at The Standard Tap, as is my wont. On such nights its a struggle not to ogle the floor to ceiling refrigerators at The Foodery nearby. I succumbed to my urges and purchased an Italian beer from Birrificio Grado Plato located in Chieri, IT (which is close to Torino). Chocarrubica is described as a "dark ale brewed with carob & cacao beans". I was unfamiliar with the taste of carob so I guess I was expecting the flavor of chocolate to be more noticeable. Instead it was sweet, then sour and finally gave way to a hint of chocolate-y smoothness. A peculiar beer that will definitely appeal to fans of the sour style. It retails for $30.25 for 1 pt 9.4 fl. oz. and has an ABV of 7%.

1 comment:

DOCG said...

Gentlemen:

Your initial offerings indicate the definite possibility of some decent reading on the subject.

In the words of George Saintsbury:

"It is the unbroken testimony of all history that alcoholic liquors have been used by the stongest, wisest, handsomest, and in every way best races of all times"